One of the oldest active monasteries of the Komi Republic.

Ulyanovo Stephen of Perm and Trinity Monastery

An Orthodox citadel

This monastery is part of the Diocese of Syktyvkar of the Russian Orthodox Church. It is located in the village of Ulyanovo, Ust-Kulomsky district. Being founded in the 14th century, it ranks among the oldest active monasteries of the Komi Republic.

The foundation of the monastery

According to legend, this Orthodox citadel was founded by Stephen of Perm in 1385 as a foothold for spreading Christianity in the Upper Vychegda. Ulyana, after whom the monastery was allegedly named, is a heroine of Komi-Zyryan folklore. For her loyalty to Stephen of Perm, she was kidnapped by the missionary’s opponent Kyska, a magus from the Pechora. He wanted to force Ulyana to abandon her new faith and return to paganism. In order to avoid betraying Christ, the girl threw herself into the Vychegda and drowned. Having wanted to perpetuate the memory of her, Stefan of Perm built the monastery near the site of her death. However, this beautiful legend is contradicted by the facts, according to which the foundation of the Orthodox citadel dates back to a much later time. The story about Ulyana's drowning seems to be a kind of mirror reflection of the folk plot that features the girl commiting suicide to avoid accepting the new faith.

The history of the monastery

In 1667, the Spassky Hermitage was restored in Ulyanovo. After the death of its prior, Moscow priest Feodor Tyurnin, it ceased to exist as a monastery, but its churches continued to operate.

In 1860, it was restored again under the name of Trinity and St. Stephen of Perm. In 1866, a group of monks from the Solovki arrived at the first Komi monastery, and one of them, Hieromonk Matthew, became its prior.

In 1875, a two-story Trinity Cathedral was built. On the top floor, the bronze throne of the Holy Life-Giving Trinity was placed. In 1878 and 1879, a 60-meter bell tower and 1-kilometer stone wall with a covered gallery were built. In 1886, a stone church in the name of the Most-Holy Mother of God complemented the ensemble of the monastery.

After the October Revolution, the monastery was closed and many monks were repressed. The Trinity Cathedral was completely destroyed, some church utensils from it can be seen in the National Museum of the Komi Republic.

The new life of the Ulyanovo Stephen of Perm and Trinity Monastery began in 1994, after it was transferred to the Russian Orthodox Church.