Administrative center: settlement of Vizinga.
Area: 6,100 km2
Bordering territories: Syktyvdinsky, Koygorodok, Priluzsky Districts, Arkhangelsk Region.
Major industry: timber cutting.
Official website of the municipal district: сысола-адм.рф
The Sysolsky District is located in the south-east of the Komi Republic. The district was established on July 15, 1929 in the abolished Ust-Sysolsk Uyezd (former Koygorodsky Uyezd).
In the late 14th century, Perm Vychegodskaya became part of the Moscow state. In 1384, after the St. Athanasius Monastery was founded in Votcha by Stephen of Perm, conversion to Christianity began in Sysolsk. In 1481, Ivan Gavrilov, a scribe, made an inventory of the Sysolskaya Volost. According to the letter of grant, the Middle and Lower Sysola, part of the adjacent Vychegda River and the Lokchim River from Zelenets to Palauz with the center in Votcha were included in Sysolsk.
Votcha and Pyeldino, where in 1485 the monastery of St. Nicholas the Wonderworker was founded, were among the first Sysola settlements mentioned. In the late 15th century, Sysola was an independent volost of the Vychegda land of the union-tribal territorial community, headed by elders, sotniks, and priests. Votcha, the largest settlement on the Sysola River, was the center of the volost in the 15th century.
In 1585-1586, clerk Ivan Ogarev and scribe Philipp Yuryev made an inventory of lands and population of the Sysolsk lands. Vizinga, Kunib, Kibra, Mezhador, Pustosh, Zaozerye, Yeitula (Zarechnoye), Chukayb were mentioned in these cadastres. Many of the settlements of the Sysolsky District mentioned in the late 16th century still exist.
In the 17th century, the Trans-Siberian Railway across the Sysolskaya Volost was built. Pyeldino, where the Yamskaya station was located, was a refuge for tired travelers. Since the early 18th century, the center of the Sysolskaya Volost moved to Vizinga, where the zemstvo post office was established by the end of the century.
Birth of I.Kuratov, the originator of Komi national literature, became the highlight of the 19th century. This talented poet and outstanding scientist is the national pride not only of Sysola lands, but of the Komi people in general.
Zaozerye Botanical Reserve
The reserve is located in the Zaozerye forestry on the right bank of the Sysola River, 10 km upstream of Zaozerye and in the lower reaches of the Kuim River. The protected riverine dark coniferous forests of the southern taiga, linden and rare orchid species are on the IUCN Red List and the Red Data Book of the Russian Federation. Yellow lady's slipper is listed in the Red Data Book of the Komi Republic. Area: 2,416 ha.
Gorsib Water Monument
It was established to protect an artificial lake. The Pychkes River (a tributary of the Sysola River) 5.5 km from Pyeldino and 14.5 km from Vizinga. The Gorsib nature monument was created by backwater effect, 3.5 m deep. Pike, burbot, crucian carp, as well as ducks inhabit the lake. Water-lily, Madonna lily and other aquatic plants are found here. Pine and spruce grow on the banks. Area: 22 ha.
Isanevskoe Swamp Natural Monument
It was established to preserve the cranberry bog, which serves as the food reserve of game birds. It is located in the middle reaches of the Poinga River, the right tributary of the Sysola River, approximately 32 km northwest of Zaozerye. This is a transitional shrub-to-sphagnum bog. A 1.3 m transitional peat deposit. Around the swamp is a 300 meters buffer zone. Marsh Labrador tea, cranberries, cloudberries, blueberries, sphagnum mosses, common haircap, and longleaf pine are found here. The swamp is a food reserve for the wood grouse and the black grouse. Streams flow into the Poinga River from the northern, western, and southern parts of the swamp. Area: 106 ha.
Kopsinskoe Bog Monument
It was established to preserve the cranberry bog. Total area: 73 ha. The bog lies on the watershed of the Malaya Vizinga and Bolshaya Vizinga Rivers, about 20 km from Vizinga. This is a transitional shrub-to-sphagnum bog, with pine, a peat bog of medium depth. The vegetation incudes pine, dwarf birch, Marsh Labrador tea, Chamaedaphne, blueberries, sedges, sphagnum mosses. Around the swamp is a 300 meters buffer zone.
Located in Vizinga, Guran. It is a spring with water flowing down a wooden gutter. It is the only travertine formation in the Komi Republic. Travertine is sphagnum, the newest rock that is formed from the water of the Guran carbon spring.
Obelisk in Chukaib
Erected in honor of the Civil War heroes on a hillock above the village of Chukaib. The White Forces were stopped in these areas during the Civil War in 1919. The story of Domna Kalikova, a scout, is described in G. Fedorov’s novel “Kya Petigon” (At Sunrise).
First Tractor Monument
The monument to the first Y-2 tractor is erected in front of the building of the Vizinga school. It is one of the first tractors of the Vizinga machine and tractor station (MTS). The Vizinga MTS was opened on January 29, 1932 in the village of Pustosh. It was the first rural machine tractor station in the Komi Republic.
Literature Museum Köch Zakar Kerka in Kuratovo
Ivan Kuratov is the first Komi poet, a native of Kuratovo. The village has a museum of Kuratov’s characters based on his “Koch Zakar Ordyn” (At Zakhar’s). Located in a picturesque place on a hill.
Located in the Isanevo forestry in pine forests between the village of Votcha and the Poinga River. A mysterious, round lake with very clear water. The lake has a depth of 20-200 meters (sources differ). But there is no evidence. The lake is almost round, about 500 meters in diameter. Its origin is not very clear. There is some suggestions that it is a karst lake, but there are no prerequisites for this. According to local people and urban hunters, the water level in the lake does not change during floods or in summer. There is a floating island on the lake.
One of the oldest Komi settlements. The history of the Sysolskaya Volost started with Votcha. “The town of Votcha, the hillfort of Votcha” ― this is the name of this village in the 19th century. Legends about chudes, their hillforts, and Stephen of Perm are associated with these places.
Located in block 161. A 20 ha container nursery, a forest seed plantation and the only greenhouse complex to produce seedlings with a root-balled tree system are located on this site.
They are located 2 km from the district center along the Syktyvkar-Kirov highway. The basins arose as a result of the collection of clay for a brick factory in Syktyvkar. Soon they were filled with water and became a favorite place for the residents of Vizinga to take “mud baths”.
Glory Obelisk in Vizinga
In 1977, an obelisk of the fallen locals was built on a high hill in the center of the village. Over the past years, it has been repeatedly changed. Events dedicated to Victory Day are held annually near the site.
In May 2016, a stone was installed next to the obelisk in memory of the peacekeeping soldiers. Glory Obelisk in Vizinga In 1977, an obelisk of the fallen locals was built on a high hill in the center of the village. Over the past years, it has been repeatedly changed. Events dedicated to Victory Day are held annually near the site.
In May 2016, a stone was installed next to the obelisk in memory of the peacekeeping soldiers.
Places to visit
Sysolsky District Museum of Local History
The museum of Sysola folk traditional culture is located in a picturesque place of the old Komi village of Vizinga in the building of the former volost municipality. The exhibition includes an ethnography hall ― the Komi house of the 18th century with items of material culture; a nature hall ― a collection of stuffed birds and animals made by A. Agafonov, the hunting expert, Jurassic fossils ― ammonites and belemnites. The art gallery contains paintings by local artists, crafts items made of wood, birch bark, and hand-made weaving. There are branches in Kuratovo ― the museum of characters of I. Kuratov, the first Komi poet, in Mezhador ― the museum of I. Morozov, a prominent statesman.
Address: 28 Sovetskaya, Vizinga.
Tel: +7 (82131) 9-1347
Pervomaysky Culture and Leisure Center, branch of the Sysolskaya centralized club system.
Address: 7 Tsentralnaya Street, Pervomaysky, Sysolsky District.
Blue Lakes lie 2 km from the district center along the Syktyvkar-Kirov highway. The basins appeared as a result of the collection of clay for a brick factory in Syktyvkar. Soon they were filled with water and became a favorite place for the residents of Vizinga to take “mud baths”.
Obelisk in Chukaib was erected in honor of Civil War heroes on a hillock above the village. The White Forces were stopped in these areas during the Civil War in 1919. The story of Domna Kalikova, a scout, is described in G. Fedorov’s novel “Kya Petigon” (At Sunrise).
There is a 20 ha tree nursery, a forest seed plantation and the only greenhouse complex using the Finnish technology to produce seedlings with a root-balled tree system in the Sysolsk forestry in block 161.