Administrative center: Vuktyl
Area: 22,500 km2
Bordering districts: Pechory, Troitsko-Pechorsk, Sosnogorsk Districts of the Komi Republic, Khanty-Mansi Autonomous Area, Tyumen Region.
Major industry: gas production.
Official website of the municipal district: http://www.vuktyl.com/
The Vuktyl Urban District is located in the east of the Komi Republic and borders on the Pechory, Troitsko-Pechorsk, Sosnogorsk Districts of the Komi Republic, the Khanty-Mansi Autonomous Area, the Tyumen Region. Founded: February 21, 1975.
The first people could have appeared here as early as the ancient Stone Age (Paleolithic), in the early days of the history of mankind, moving north along the banks of the Pechora River and the Ural Mountains 36,000 (or maybe 100,000-120,000) years ago. No traces of ancient people have been found on the Vuktyl area. However, there are known Paleolithic sites in the upper Pechora and in the lower river basin, and it is impossible to get from the upper to the lower Pechora otherwise than through the Vuktyl area.
In the Middle Stone Age (Mesolithic), 10,000–8,000 years ago, people definitely inhabited these lands. It is evidenced by the ancient sites discovered by archaeologists near Pashnya, Savinobor and Ust-Soplesk. Dutovo site is an evidence of settlements of ancient people in the New Stone Age (Neolithic). Later, in the Copper/Bronze and Early Iron Ages, early Middle Ages, various tribes and peoples lived here. There were several settlements and sites in the area. The most famous of them is the Atamannyur settlement in the vicinity of Vuktyl and Lebyazhskaya site (this is not only one of the largest settlements on the Pechora River of the era, but also a local bronze casting center), which gave names to entire archaeological cultures of the Copper/Bronze Age, and a considerable number of individual pieces of ancient jewelry and tools found along the banks.
of the Pechora River and its tributaries from Pashnya to Ust-Voya. Of particular interest are the ancient treasures ― Ust-Soplesk Treasure found in the mid-19th century, and Podcherye Treasure discovered in 1929 on the Podcherye River. The treasures people used to keep carefully more than 1,000 years ago include bronze jewelry, bizarre, often fantastical images of animals, birds and even human-animal hybrids or avian humanoids ("animal style").
Some settlements in the Vuktyl lands existed in the second half of the 1st millennium A.D. But then they were abandoned, possibly due to the appearance of bellicose nomads (Nenets and Mansi) on the Pechora River. For more than 500 years, the Vuktyl region has turned into a zone of hunting grounds and pastures of nomadic tribes. It wasn’t before the 17th century that inhabitants of the upper Vychegda began to gradually develop this area.
The first permanent settlements in the area appeared in the 18th century.
In 1920–1922, the territory of the Vuktyl District (Savinoborsk and Schugorsky Volosts) was part of the Troitsko-Pechorsk District of the Perm Province, part of the Ust-Kulom Uyezd (district since 1929) of the Komi Autonomous Region in 1922–1931, part of the Troitsko-Pechorsk District of Komi Autonomous Region since 1931.
The settlement, and then the town of Vuktyl was founded due to the development of the Vuktyl gas condensate field. On December 29, 1966, the settlement of Vuktyl was registered in the Podcherye Settlement Council of the Pechory District, which was subsequently granted the status of a worker’s settlement, a town under regional and republican jurisdiction.
On March 11, 1968, by the Decree of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of the Komi ASSR, the settlement of Vuktyl (Podcherye Settlement Council, Pechory District) was merged into the Dutovo Settlement Council of the suburban area of the town of Ukhta. On April 10, 1968, the settlement of Vuktyl was categorized as a worker’s settlement.
On February 21, 1975, the Vuktyl District centered in the worker’s settlement of Vuktyl was established, with part of the Pechory District and the suburban area of the town of Ukhta included.
The Law of the Komi Republic No.114-РЗ dated December 1, 2015 established Vuktyl Urban District on the territory of the town under republican jurisdiction with its subordinate territory including the territory of the Vuktyl Municipal District.
Thus, the Vuktyl Urban District includes the following territories: town under republican jurisdiction Vuktyl, rural settlements: Kyrta, Lemty, Lemtybozh, Ust-Soplesk, Sherdino, settlements: Dutovo, Podcherye, villages: Savinobor, Ust-Voya, Ust-Schuger.
Rites of the Peoples of the Komi Republic
In order to preserve, revive and learn about the traditions of the Komi peoples, their multinationality and material culture, Podcherye has been hosting the Rites of the Peoples of the Komi Republic district festival every year since 2014. The community of the Vuktyl Urban District: the Ukrainian Pivnichna Mriya community, the Yaktash Tatar-Bashkir community, the Rus Pechorskaya Ust-Tsilma community, the Zarni Kad Komi community.
Everyone can take part in national ceremonies, games, taste the local cuisine of the various peoples. Every year the festival attracts over 700 people. The festival is unique in that it takes place in the Yugyd Va National Park on the picturesque bank of the Podcherem River.
Monument to the Defenders of the Fatherland
The monument was erected with contributions by many city-forming organizations and enterprises of Vuktyl. Installed on August 22, 2004 in the Veterans Square.
Places to visit
Yugyd Va National Park
Covering 18,941.33 km2, Yugyd Va is the largest national park in Russia and Europe. The park was laid out on the western slopes of the Northern and Subpolar Urals in 1994. In 1995, the Park was put on the World Heritage List as part of the Virgin Komi Forests (together with the Pechora-Ilych Nature Reserve).
The National Park’s key mission is to preserve the unique natural complexes of the Ural North, as they have a special environmental, historical and aesthetic value, and are intended for use in environmental, educational and scientific purposes and for regulated tourism.
The Vuktyl District is partly located in the Yugyd Va National Park (which is Komi for “clear water”), the first natural site in Russia included in the UNESCO World Heritage List under the umbrella name “Komi Virgin Forests” together with the Pechora-Ilych Nature Reserve (1995).
Yugyd Va is a land of numerous mountain lakes, unique glaciers (glaciers at such a relatively low altitude cannot be found anywhere else in the world), the highest and the most beautiful peaks of the Urals: Narodnaya, Sablya, Managara, Kolokolnya The Yugyd Va National Park is situated on the western slopes of the Subpolar and Northern Urals, on the territory of three regions of the Komi Republic (Vuktyl, Pechory and Inta).
The Northern Lights gas pipeline (Vuktyl-Ukhta-Torzhok), one of the most powerful gas pipelines in the country, begins in Vuktyl.
In February 1968, the construction of the Northern Lights gas pipeline was announced the All-Union Komsomol shock-work construction to become a real school of life for hundreds of young men and women from all over the country. The pipeline construction faced incredible difficulties. For example, pipes were impossible to transport through wetlands even by swamp tractors. Even four tractors tied together to transport the three-pipe sections often failed to keep trailers from being stuck in swamps. Basic materials and food could only be delivered by helicopters to 18 working points on the gas pipeline. Nevertheless, the Ukhta-Gryazovets-Torzhok highway was built in record time. According to the then standards, 36 months was provided to complete this type of gas pipeline. However, the incredible productivity of the gas pipeline builders made it possible to finish the work in only 18 months, which was unprecedentedly short time. The construction began late in 1967, and on April 14, 1969, the Pravda newspaper reported: “The first phase of the high-power Northern Lights pipeline has been put under industrial testing today. Having traveled almost 1,300 kilometers from Vuktyl to Rybinsk, gas from the banks of the Pechora River arrived to the Volga River”.
Every year on June 12, the Vuktyl city square hosts the Multinational Vuktyl District Festival. On this day, national public associations offer their exhibitions about the culture of the people, activities of the public association. The identity of each community is clearly manifested in concerts, where you can hear the soft songs of the Komi, see the passionate Tatar dance, join the Ust-Tsilma round dance or the rousing Ukrainian dance. In addition to the concert program, sporting events take place on the square.
Vuktyl has recently become accessible by air. Komiaviatrans Airlines operate Syktyvkar ― Vuktyl ― Ukhta flights (by Let L-410) twice a week. Flight schedule komiaviatrans.ru
No railway service. The nearest railway stations are in Ukhta and Sosnogorsk.
District residents mainly get around by car. The road network is, however, poorly developed. You can get from Syktyvkar to Vuktyl by the Syktyvkar-Vuktyl bus. The distance from the capital of the Komi Republic to the administrative center of the district is 548 km.