Skip to main content


Syktyvkar

Summary

Summary

Administrative center: Syktyvkar, the capital of the Komi Republic.

Area: 733 km2

Bordering districts: Syktyvdinsky and Kortkeros Districts of the Komi Republic.

Population: 258,700

Major industries: timber processing, ​​​​​​​construction, nonwoven fabric production.

Official website of the municipal districtСыктывкар.рф

The Syktyvkar Urban District is located in the southwest of the Komi Republic and borders on the Syktyvdinsky and Kortkeros Districts of the Komi Republic. Capital of the Komi Republic.

From the earliest times, people have lived near what is today known as Syktyvkar. As long ago as the 3rd – 4th millennium BC, the northeastern environs of the city on the shores of Lake Enty located in the area between the modern village of Ozel and the village of Sedkyrkesch were settled. A bronze ax found in Krasnaya Gora (within the boundaries of Syktyvkar), and the settlement of ancient people near Lemu date back to the 13th – 12th century BC. In the Vanvizdino Culture Era (4th – 9th century AD), the territory of Krasnaya Gora was settled. Barrows discovered by archaeologists date from the 10th – 11th and 14th – 15th centuries. However, the settlements of that distant era were not permanent: they became unpopulated for different reasons, with new settlements emerging some time later in the neighborhood or even in the same place, then people left again, and the territory was populated by others.

Syktyvkar was first mentioned in historical documents in 1586 as a pogost (small settlements with a church and a graveyard) on the Ust-Sysola River with 14 small settlements and villages located nearby. All of them were on the territory of the modern city of Syktyvkar and its Ezhvinsky District. The large Ust-Sysolsk District (volost) centered around the pogost on the mouth of the Sysola River included nearby settlements and villages: Zelenets, Madzha, Pezmog, Parcheg and Chasovo.

In the early 17th century, Ust-Sysola Pogost was located on the outskirts of the territory inhabited by the Komi people. With the development of the upper Vychegda and Pechora in the 17th – 18th centuries, it turned out to be in its center, at the crossroads of waterways, becoming a kind of transshipment base in promoting the population from different areas of the Komi region and outside. Some of the settlers moved to the mouth of the Sysola River. Mixed population resulted in a unique local dialect of the Komi language, referred to as Prisyktyvkarsky. Trade was gradually developing; the settlement became the center of transit and redistribution of goods including bread. In the late 17th ― early 18th century, the Georgievskaya and Vasilyevskaya winter trade fairs in Ust-Sysola became famous. From the second half of the 17th century, members of the Sukhanov family of Ust-Sysolsk, who traveled with goods to different regions of Russia, were well-known merchants. During the 18th century, the importance of Ust-Sysola as a trade center of the region was rapidly growing. With its convenient location at the intersection of trade routes, Ust-Sysola was an important transit point, a fair center with smooth-running, constant trade in shops.

In 1775, the local government reform was initiated in Russia. On February 5, 1780, Empress Catherine the Great issued a decree transforming Ust-Sysola Pogost into the city of Ust-Sysolsk, the center of the new Ust-Sysolsk Uyezd (district). Ust-Sysolsk was an important trade center.In 1921, Ust-Sysolsk was given the status of the administrative center of the Komi Autonomous Region. On December 5, 1936, the city became the capital of the Komi Autonomous Soviet Socialist Republic.

In 1921, Ust-Sysolsk was given the status of the administrative center of the Komi Autonomous Region. On December 5, 1936, the city became the capital of the Komi Autonomous Soviet Socialist Republic.

On March 26, 1930, the city was renamed Syktyvkar (Komi for "a city on the Sysola River").

 

Attractions

FIRE TOWER
Пожарная каланча
Fire tower

At the corner of Sovetskaya and Ordzhonikidze Streets in Syktyvkar, an old building of Fire Tower is located. In the early 20th century, this 10-meter-tall building was the tallest in the city. The district council allocated a RUB 3,000 loan to build the tower in 1901. The key element of the Fire Tower is the clock on the top. They play music hourly, from 8 AM to 10 PM. Today the building of the former fire station houses a museum and a fire-technical exhibition about the historical past of Syktyvkar and fire rarities. The museum has a diorama of the big fire of 1901. On the upper balcony of the tower, you can see a fireman mannequin Yashka.

NATIONAL GALLERY OF THE KOMI REPUBLIC

The Religious School building (1890, architect Fedorov) is a historical and cultural heritage site of the Komi Republic. Now it houses the National Gallery of the Komi Republic, which manages, stores, studies, exhibits and popularizes applied arts. Founded in 1943, the National Gallery is the only museum of fine arts in the Komi Republic. The National Gallery of the Komi Republic holds more than 7,000 items. The permanent exhibition includes foreign and Russian art of the 17th-19th centuries and fine arts of Russia and the Komi Republic.

ST. STEPHEN CATHEDRAL
Свято-Стефановский кафедральный собор
ST. Stephen cathedral 

The Cathedral is the center of the Russian Orthodox Church in the Komi Republic. The foundation stone of the Cathedral was laid on May 9, 1996. It was consecrated by Patriarch of Moscow and All Rus Alexy II. There is a chapel next to the Cathedral. During the celebration of the 80th anniversary of the Komi Republic, St. Stephen Cathedral was opened and consecrated by Bishop of Syktyvkar and Pitirim of Vorkuta. The Cathedral held services, while in fact construction works were not completed. Snow-white, faced with red granite at the base, illuminated at night, majestic, with gilded domes, St. Stephen Cathedral was officially opened to the public in October 2003.

Saints Peter and Fevronia of Murom Monument

A 3-meter sculpture representing the symbol of hearth and home can be found in the garden square near St. Stephen Cathedral. The Monument to the Saints was built on a small hill. The path leading to the monument is decorated with the arc-shaped icon “Faith, Hope, Charity”. Weighing four tons and coated with bronze color paint, the monument was made of special concrete by convicted Andrey Galushkin based on a sketch of the Bishop of Syktyvkar and Pitirim of Vorkuta.

National Museum of the Komi Republic

Founded in October 1911, the National Museum of the Komi Republic is one of the first Komi scientific, cultural and educational institutions.The holdings of the Museum include more than a quarter of a million items with a lot of natural science materials, collections of material, spiritual and daily life items from all social groups of the region in different historical periods, rich archives, including documentary photography, collection of personal belongings of prominent people of the Komi Republic. Currently, there are five permanent exhibits: history, ethnography, natural history, and two memorial branches. The first memorial is dedicated to Ivan Kuratov, the originator of Komi literature, the second one — to Ivan Morozov, the statesman, who headed the republic for 22 years.

Eternal Glory Memorial

Мемориальный комплекс «Вечная слава»
Eternal Glory Memorial

The monument to the Syktyvkar soldiers was erected on January 20, 1981 on the site of a one-storey timber building of the Syktyvkar Military Commissariat, where citizens were mobilized for the Great Patriotic War.

Letter Ö Monument

The highlight of Syktyvkar is a monument to one of the letters of the Komi alphabet. The monument is a meter-high stone weighing two tons with the letter "Ӧ" carved on it. It has an interesting story behind it. The fate of this letter is in many respects similar to that of the Russian letter "Ё". The letter “Ӧ” is “disappearing”, since it is scarcely used in Russian-language published sources, which distorts the way many words of the Komi language sound. However, in everyday life, this sound is still often used. It was decided that the monument built by sculptor Aleksandr Vyborov should be erected near the Komi Culture center. The monument was unveiled on the City Day, June 12, 2011.

Savin Academic Drama THEATER 

The Academic Drama Theater of the Komi Republic in Syktyvkar was founded by the playwright and director V. Savin in October 1930. The theater staff included graduates of performing arts universities of Moscow, Leningrad, Yaroslavl and Ufa. In 2010, graduates of the Saint Petersburg Performing Arts Academy joined the troupe. Two people's artists of the USSR, Ivan Avramov and Glafira Sidorova had been working at the theater.

V. Savin Monument

The sculpture was erected at the front entrance of the Savin State Academic Drama Theater on August 21, 1994. Authors of the monument: sculptor V. Bezumov; architects A. Tolmacheva, N. Tyulyukova, M. Shakhov. Viktor Savin (21.11.1888, Nebdino ― 11.08.1943, Prikulka camp site) was a poet, playwright, composer, politician. The Republican Academic Drama Theater was named after him.

House of merchant Sukhanov

The oldest building erected in the early 19th century is on Ordzhonikidze Street. This is the House of merchant Sukhanov. Many years ago, wooden churches and beautiful residential buildings were built in Ust-Sysolsk at his expenses. Thanks to this, in 1780, Catherine the Great assigned the city status to Ust-Sysolsk. At the corner of Sovetskaya and Ordzhonikidze Streets, there is a fire department building put up in the earliest 20th century. A ten-meter-tall octahedron clock tower is a symbol of Syktyvkar.

Raisa Smetanina Olympic Champion's Museum

Raisa Smetanina Olympic Champion's Museum is located in the cottage where the famous skier lives. She has 4 Olympic gold medals and 5 gold World Championship medals. Raisa Smetanina was recognized as an outstanding skier of the 20th century whose achievements were listed in the Guinness World Records. The house museum has one-of-a-kind materials ― photographs, films, memoirs of athletes and the awards collection of Raisa Smetanina, showcasing the development of cross-country skiing.

State Opera and Ballet Theater of the Komi Republic

The theater was founded in August 1958. The opening was marked with the premiere of the musical performance “Eugene Onegin” by Tchaikovsky, which became the pearl of Russian opera classics. These days, Russian and European artists often appear on stage at the Opera and Ballet Theater. Every year, as part of the theater activities, the Syktyvkarsa Tulis and Zolotye Lastochki (Golden Swallows) Festivals are held.

Kuratov Monument

Kuratov Monument is located in front of the Opera and Ballet Theater of the Komi Republic (1977, erected by sculptor V. Mamchenko and architect V. Edelgaus). I. Kuratov (1839 ― 1875) was the father of the Komi literature, an outstanding poet and linguist. He started writing poems at the age of 13 in a seminary, and was engaged in poetry for the rest of his life. 24 linguistic works were discovered in his manuscripts.

Chapel of the New Martyrs and Confessors of Russia

Часовня_Новомучеников_и_Исповедников_Российских
Chapel of the New Martyrs and Confessors of Russia

In Syktyvkar, there is the Chapel of the New Martyrs and Confessors of Russia on the corner of Kirov and Domna Kalikova Streets. It was erected on the site of the prison Joy of All Who Sorrow Church in memory of victims of political repressions. The names of all the settlements of the Komi territory, where the camps were located, were inscribed on its walls. In addition, they are decorated with bas-reliefs depicting scenes of arrest and execution of the repressed. A bell and icons were installed in the chapel.

Sunrise Over Chukotka Sculpture

Скульптура_«Рассвет_над_Чукоткой»
Sunrise Over Chukotka Sculpture


The monument that adorns the flowerbed in the middle of the airport ring is a symbol of the North. The monument made of forged copper by Leningrad craftsmen depicts a reindeer herder dreaming of flying.

Labor Glory Monument

Монумент трудовой славы
Labor Glory Monument

The Monument to Labor Glory of the Republic, a concrete torch at the intersection of Kommunisticheskaya Street and Oktyabrsky Avenue, has become one of the hallmarks of the city. It was erected in honor of the labor achievements of the Komi ASSR workers and the awarding of the Komi Republic the Orders of Lenin, the October Revolution and the Friendship of Peoples (1977, architects A. Kurov, P. Reznikov) and builders and paper-mill workers of the Syktyvkar timber industry complex (1969) in the context of the 10th anniversary of the city’s leading enterprise.

Electrician Monument

The monument is located at the main entrance of Komienergo, a branch of Interregional Distribution Grid Company of North-West, on Internatsionalnaya Street. The sculptural composition depicts a seated electrician with mittens, a helmet and a rose lying next to him. The monument is cast in bronze; it is 2.4 meters high and about 5 meters long. The author of the sculpture is professor Anatoly Dema from St. Petersburg.

Merchant’s Chest Monument

The monument is located in the historical area of the city on Sovetskaya Street, where merchants used to build their mansions in the past, in a small park with benches, where you can relax and put a coin in the merchant chest for the wealth and prosperity of the city. It is planned to symbolically open a capsule with coins once a year, to get and send this money to improve the city. There is also a board with historical reference installed in the garden square next to the chest. It includes excerpts from the book by Mikhail Rogachev about merchants of Syktyvkar and their role in the life of the city.

Russian Ruble Monument

A monument made of metal and plastic appeared in front of the National Bank on Lenin Street. On December 11, 2013, the Bank of Russia approved the graphic symbol of the ruble in the form of a capital Cyrillic letter ‘Р’ with a horizontal line in the lower part giving the impression of the presence of two parallel lines which symbolizes the stable position of the Russian ruble. Now there is a monument shaped as the ruble currency symbol in Syktyvkar.

Pitirim Sorokin Monument

The statue of the famous American sociologist born in Komi was put up in front of the Pitirim Sorokin Syktyvkar State University. The sculptor is the chairman of the Union of Russian Artists Andrey Kovalchuk.

Our Lady of Kazan Church

Свято-Казанский_храм
Our Lady of Kazan Church

Our Lady of Kazan Church is the most famous church of the Komi Republic. It is located in one of the picturesque places of Syktyvkar over the Sysola River. Initially, there was a holy righteous Procopius and John of the Ustyug Miracle Workers chapel in Kochponskaya instead of the church. The chapel was first mentioned in the chronicle of the Ust-Sysolsk Trinity Parish. In 1860, God-loving peasants added the Altar to the existing chapel. In the spring of May 27, 1861, the church was consecrated in the name of Our Lady of Kazan Icon.

Mourning Soldier Monument

Памятник_«Скорбящий_войн»
Mourning Soldier Monument

The bronze and granite monument was erected at the intersection of K. Marx and Kommunisticheskaya Streets on November 1, 1997. Authors of the monument: sculptor A. Neverov, architects A. Rakin, A. Grishin. The sculpture depicts a soldier resting after a battle. The soldier is sitting with his bare head bowed and his hands put on his knees.

Trading House of the Derbenev Brothers

The Trading House of the Derbenev Brothers (1908) is a historical and cultural heritage site of the Komi Republic. The store had three departments selling dry goods, sacred vessels, and furniture. Now the building houses the ethnography department of the National Museum of the Komi Republic.

Domna Kalikova Monument

Domna Kalikova Monument (1979, sculptor V. Rokhin). D. Kalikova (1896 1919) is a heroine of the Civil War. After joining the partisan detachment, she repeatedly operated within enemy lines, provided the command with valuable information about the location and strength of White Guard detachments.

Komi Azbuka Anbur Monument

The monument was raised on October 1, 2014, at the intersection of Karl Marx and Ordzhonikidze Streets. Its purpose is both to improve the appearance of one of the streets and to educate people. In the center of the composition is background information about the appearance of the alphabet and its use in the Komi writing system. You can admire the monument while sitting on the benches in the garden square. In the evening, the letters of the composition are beautifully illuminated

Places to visit

NATIONAL MUSIC AND DRAMA THEATER

The National Music and Drama Theater of the Komi Republic is the only professional theater in the Republic with all plays produced in the Komi language. 

The theater adapts works by Komi poets and writers for stage and uses the best classical Komi drama in all existing genres. Plays are performed with simultaneous translation into Russian.

Address: 4 Babushkina Street, Syktyvkar
Tel: 24-89-04

State Opera and Ballet Theater

The theater is an entire world that is open to everyone who gravitates to the rational, good and eternal. It has a special aura and brings you something out of the ordinary, giving you the opportunity to connect with culture and history, to see what you often do not notice in everyday life. The theater unites people who love performing arts: actors, directors and those without whom it cannot exist. The theater is alive as long as it has grateful, sensitive, talented audience to guide through the country of discoveries and treasures of the classics It encourages to reflect on time and yourself, discovering the magical world of music, harmony and beauty.

Address: 32 Kommunisticheskaya Street, Syktyvkar

Tel: +8 (8212) 24-53-58

Website: www.komiopera.ru

Savin State Academic Drama Theater

The oldest theater of the Komi Republic, operating since 1930. The theater has 2 troupes: Russian and Komi.

Address: 56 Pervomayskaya Street, Syktyvkar 

Tel: 24-10-60

e-mail: akaddram@yandex.ru

Website: komidrama.ru

 

National Museum of the Komi Republic  

It includes a number of museums offering insights into the history, culture, nature, economy of the Komi Republic. Founded in 1911, the Museum was initiated by the Ust-Sysolsk branch of the Archangelsk Society for the Study of the Russian North. The Museum holds archaeological, ethnographic collections, exhibits that showcase history, nature of the region.

Address: 6 Kommunisticheskaya Street, Syktyvkar

Tel: 24-11-73 

National Gallery of the Komi Republic

Devotional art of the 18th — 20th centuries (mainly Old Believers), Russian art, including a collection of paintings of the 1900s-1910s, Komi art (from the 1910s to the present), a small collection of foreign art, folk and decorative art, folk crafts.

Теl. 24-60-66

Address: 44 Kirov Street, Syktyvkar.

 

Kuratov’s Literary and Memorial Museum

Devotional art of the 18th — 20th centuries (mainly Old Believers), Russian art, including a collection of paintings of the 1900s-1910s, Komi art (from the 1910s to the present), a small collection of foreign art, folk and decorative art, folk crafts.

Address: 10 Ordzhonikidze Street, Syktyvkar

Tel: 24-13-47

 

Morozov's House Museum

Музей расположен в крестьянской избе, экспозиция знакомит с этапами жизни и деятельности видного политического деятеля РК – Ивана Павловича Морозова.

Address: 32 Kirov Street, Syktyvkar

Tel: 20-25-57.

Dyakonov Museum of Literature and Theater

The Museum’s permanent exhibition tells about N. Dyakonov, a Komi playwright, the author of the famous play “Bride with a Dowry”, and the history and formation of the Komi theater as a whole.

Address: 3a Mayakovskaya Street, Ezhva

Tel: 62-64-98

 

Museum of Archeology of the European Northeast

Founded in 1967. Major collections – archeology and ethnography.

Address: 26 Kommunisticheskaya Street, Syktyvkar

Tel: 42-55-64.

Website: illhkomisc.ru

 

Chernov Geological Museum of the Komi Geological Institute, Scientific Center of the Russian Academy of Sciences

Founded in 1969. Major collection ― mineralogy; fossils.

Address: 54 Pervomayskaya Street, Syktyvkar.

Tel: 44-70-45, 24-53-78

 

Maxi Shopping Mall

Address: 141 Oktyabrsky Avenue, Syktyvkar 

Website: skt.maxi-shopping.ru

VKontakte: vk.com/maxi_skt  

 

Raduga Shopping Mall

Address: 38 Pervomayskaya Street, Syktyvkar

Website: raduga3d.com

Directions

BY AIR

Airlines operate three flights a day between the capital of the Komi Republic and Moscow: two Utair Airlines flights (VKO), a Nordavia Airline flight, and an Aeroflot flight (SVO). 

There are also flights between Syktyvkar and St. Petersburg, Anapa, Ekaterinburg, Naryan-Mar, Sochi, Perm, etc.

Airlines also operate flights between Syktyvkar and towns and villages of the Komi Republic: Ukhta, Vorkuta, Usinsk, Pechora, Ust-Tsilma.

TRAIN

The Mikun-Syktyvkar railway line connects the capital of the Republic with the all-Russian railway network. Direct trains regularly run from Syktyvkar to Moscow, St. Petersburg, Arkhangelsk, Kotlas, Novorossiysk, Adler, etc.

You can get to the Syktyvkar railway station:

from Moscow ― by Moscow – Syktyvkar train (travel time ― 25 h)from Moscow ― by Moscow – Syktyvkar train (travel time ― 25 h)

from St. Petersburg ― by St. Petersburg ― Syktyvkar train (travel time ― 32 h)

BUS

There are three paved regional roads running from Syktyvkar: Syktyvkar ― Vogvazdino ― Ukhta, Syktyvkar ― Murashi ― Kirov, Syktyvkar ― Pomozdino ― Troitsko-Pechorsk. 

There are regular bus services connecting Syktyvkar with Kirov, Cheboksary, Ufa, Moscow, Ulyanovsk, Kazan, Perm.